Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Growth Scan & Other Updates

Our high risk doctor did a growth scan on the girls yesterday and they are all measuring about 1.5 lbs. He estimated that to be the 35th percentile, but from what I have read, that weight seems a bit more average than that. It's hard to say, though, because the ultrasound measurements offer a weight that is rarely consistent with reality. In other words, it's a good guess, but not entirely reliable. The main thing is that the girls are all about the same size and growing well.

We were able to see the girls on the 4D ultrasound, but only one offered us a profile shot. It's not very good, but I'll try to load it on the computer for you to see. In another two weeks we can take another look and see how they cooperate.

As for names, they are possibly changing. After seeing his girls yesterday afternoon, Paul decided that we needed to reconsider some of the names. At this point I think we will be keeping them to ourselves...and honestly, I'm not entirely convinced we will finalize them until the girls arrive. Prior to learning that we were having triplets, I had wanted to only create a short list of names and decide after giving birth which name to choose. However, knowing that triplet pregnancies are such high risk, I changed my mind and decided that it would be nice for the girls to all have names in the event of a poor outcome. In mentally planning for the worst, I at least wanted my children to have names while alive (alive being in my uterus and possibly during birth). Now that they are all viable and have an excellent chance of coming into this world full of life, I don't feel so desperate to call them by their names while in utero. All of that said, we are going to take our time in making our final selections and will share the names with everyone when the girls make their debut. For now, we will go back to Baby A, B, and C.

To those of you whom I have neglected communication-wise, I apologize. One would think that bedrest would increase one's desire for social interaction. Soooooooo not true in my case. I avoid phone calls, often because I'm too sleepy or depressed to have a conversation. It's nothing personal...it just takes a lot out of me to be social right now. As for emails, I love reading them, but typing is hugely difficult. I have mentioned before that the only comfortable position for me really is lying flat on my back. In order to type, I have to open my laptop up almost 180 degrees and prop it just below my belly, on my pelvic bone. But if it rests on my body at all, Baby A gets all pissy and starts kicking it (no joke). So I have to use my hands to elevate the computer and attempt to type at the same time. It's all doable (obviously...I'm updating this blog), but I procrastinate for obvious reasons. So I'm not ignoring your emails, I'm just dreading the workout of responding and the back pain that ensues thereafter.

That's all for now.

1 comment:

Haymonds said...

Wow!! What an adventure ride. I'm so glad you're progressing so well and that the girls aren't interested in showing their adorable faces yet. Are you getting any sleep these days?

link